Thursday, April 18, 2019

Raymond B. Bell, Chattanooga, Hamilton, Tennessee: Rejected Application to Eastern Band of Cherokee

[Transcribed quickly; not fully proofed!]

-------------------------

Eastern Cherokee Application (Rejected) of Raymond B. Bell, of Chattanooga, Hamilton, Tennessee

Card no. 268:

Application for Enrollment with the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians of North Carolina.

I hereby make application for enrollment with the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians of North Carolina. My name is Raymond B Bell, and I reside at Chattanooga Tenn No 3100 East 38 St. I also make application for the enrollment of my minor children as follows: Lawrence E Bell, Herman A. Bell, Isla Nell Bell, and Martha Ray Bell.

State of Tennessee
County of Hamilton SS

I, the said Raymond B. Bell, of lawful age, being first duly sworn, depose and say:- That my full and correct name is Raymond B. Bell, that I am 42 years of age, and that I now reside at Chattanooga Tenn. and (in case of married female) that my name prior to my marriage was _____________; that I was born at Duluth, Ga, and that I have resided at the following places for the periods of time herein stated: At Duluth, Ga from birth until 1901. At Chelsea Oklahoma about one year, at St Elmo Tenn Chattanooga, and Cleveland Tenn up to present time.

2. That I am of Eastern Cherokee Indian blood of 1/16 degree, and I claim lineal descent from Mr Rogers, who was my Great grandfather, (state the relationship), and that my descent from said ancestor is as follows: and from Mary Vann McNair Rogers, who was my great grand mother, from Olleivia M Bell who was my grand mother and from Robert H. Bell who was my father.
[End of page 1]

[Begin page 2]:

3. That my father's name (was) Robert H. Bell, and his degree of Indian blood (was) 1/8; that my mother's maiden name (was) Ada J. Collins, and that her degree of Indian blood (was0 none; that she was married to my father on November 3, 1880 and that they have since resided at the following places for the periods herein stated: my father resided in Milton County Ga until 1894. He resided in the Indian Territory until his death in 1905. My mother resided in Milton Co Ga all her life until 1901. in Indian Territory until about 1902, since then she has resided in and or (???) Chattanooga Tenn to present time.

4. That my peternal grandfather's name was Anderson S. Bell, and his degree of Indian blood was none; that my paternal grandmother's maiden name was MGiver? McNair Rogers and her degree of Indian blood was 1/4; that my maternal grandfather's name was Thomas Collins, and his degree of Indian blood was none; that my maternal grandmother's maiden name was Sarah Green, and her degree of Indian blood was none. (If applicant possesses a degree of Indian blood derived from an ancestory other than Cherokee, a detailed statement of the fact should be set forth separately below: No Indian blood except Cherokee.

5. That the following are the facts in relation to the enrollment of my said ancestors with the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians: (give full details) The name of my grandmother Albina M. Bell appears in the Siler Roll of 1857. The Chapman Roll of 1852 and the Hester Roll of 1884. The name of my father, Robert H. Bell appears on the Hester Roll of 1884. My own name appears on the Hester Roll of 1884, and I shared in a distribution of funds to the Eastern Cherokees in 1910.

6. That the following are the facts in relation to the affiliation of my said ancestors with the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians: I have been told that my ancestors associated and affiliated with the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians and attended their councils and spoke their language, ; and that I myself have affiliated with said Eastern Band as follows: in schools, churches etc with mixed blood.

7. That the following names and places of residence of my relatives who were heretofore enrolled with the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians of North Carolina:

Name, Relation, Residence:

Albina McNair Bell, Grand mother, Dead
Robert H. Bell, Father, Dead
Robert N. Rogers, Grat Uncle, Dead
David McNair Rogers, Grat Uncle, Dead
Augustus L. Rogers, Grat Uncle, Duluth Ga
Henery C. Rogers, Grat Grat Uncle, Dead

8. That my said ancestors contributed toward the purchase of the Qualla Boundary and other lands of said Eastern Band as follows: I don't know as to this,

9. That _____________ is the father of my children and his degree of Cherokee Indian blood is _______________. The degree of
[End of page 3]

[Page 4]

Cherokee Indian blood of my children is as follows:
______________________
______________________

10. That Mattie Bell is the mother of my children and her degree of Cherokee Indian blood is none. The degree of Cherokee Indian blood of my children is as follows: 1/32, as I understand it.

11. That the ages and places of residence of my said children are as follows:
Lawrence E Bell, (son) Born August 28, 1911
Herman A. Bell, (Son), Born April 3rd, 1914
Isla Nell Bell. (Daughter), Born August 28, 1918
Martha Ray Bell (Daughter), Born September 30, 1923

Raymond . Bell. (Signature of Applicant).

Subscribed and sworn to before me this 13 day of Mch 1926. J. F. Lowry, Notary Public. My Commission expires: July 7, 1928.

[End of page 4]

Affidavit

County of ___________
State of ____________ ss

    I, Monnie Collins, of lawful age, being duly sworn, on oath, depose and swear that Raymond B. Bell is personally known to me and that he is the identical person who made and signed the above application, and that the statements made by him in said application are true. Further, that I known personally that he is of Eastern Cherokee Indian blood of the degree and lineage stated in the above application and that the facts stated with reference to his ancestors and their enrollment and affiliation, and the affiliation of the applicant, with the Eastern band of Cherokee Indians are true. That the facts stated concerning the parentage of his children and the ages, places of residence, and degree of Eastern Cherokee Indian blood are true.

    That my opportunities for knowing the facts as stated in the application as to his Cherokee blood and in respect to his ancestors are as follows: That I have known him and his ancestors for twenty-two years and know that he is of Indian decent.

Monnie Collins (L.S.)

County of Hamilton)
State of Tenn.   )  ss

    Personally appeared before me, a notary public in and for said county, this 13 day of Mch, 1926, Monnie Collins to me well known, and voluntarily subscribed her name and swore to the foregoing affidavit.

    (SEAL)     J. F. Lowry, Notary Public.

My Commission expires July 7-- 1928.
--------------------------------------------

Affidavit

County of ___________
State of ____________ ss

    I, Jennie Collins, of lawful age, being duly sworn, on oath, depose and swear that Raymond B. Bell is personally known to me and that he is the identical person who made and signed the above application, and that the statements made by him in said application are true. Further, that I known personally that he is of Eastern Cherokee Indian blood of the degree and lineage stated in the above application and that the facts stated with reference to his ancestors and their enrollment and affiliation, and the affiliation of the applicant, with the Eastern band of Cherokee Indians are true. That the facts stated concerning the parentage of his children and the ages, places of residence, and degree of Eastern Cherokee Indian blood are true.

    That my opportunities for knowing the facts as stated in the application as to his Cherokee blood and in respect to his ancestors are as follows: That I have known him and his ancestors for 23 years and know that he is of Indian descendage.

Jennie Collins (L.S.)

County of Hamilton)
State of Tenn.   )  ss

    Personally appeared before me, a notary public in and for said county, this 13 day of Mch, 1926, Jennie Collins to me well known, and voluntarily subscribed her name and swore to the foregoing affidavit.

    (SEAL)     J. F. Lowry, Notary Public.

My Commission expires July 7-- 1928.

----------------------

Enrolling Commission:

Fred A. Baker
James E. Henderson

#268

Department of the Interior
U.S. Indian Field Service
Cherokee, N.C. Feb. 28, 1927

Mr. Raymond B. Bell, Chattanooga, Tennessee, 3100 E. 38th Street

[....pension was rejected....]:

Many reasons are pre-printed in the form. The one checked is no. 8: 'Any right the applicant, or the ancestors through whom he claims, may have acquired by reason of residence in the State of North Carolina in October 1874, or by reason of enrollment with the Eastern Band prior to that date, has been lost through non-affiliation.'
------------------

[Note: The applicant is given the right to appeal within 30 days.]

[MY OWN NOTE: Identification of wife, Mattie Bell, is Mattie (Headrick) Bell, daughter of J.E. Headrick of Walker County, Georgia. Wedding announcement in Walker County Messenger, Death records, etc., used for identification.]



No comments:

Post a Comment