Thursday, February 21, 2019

Coyle Research, Tennessee and Georgia, Various Documents

Lord, I think I am crazy.

I found where I had posted this on my Little Scraps of Paper (the blog where I put everything from my "To-Dos" to the local pizza-place number, because businesses in Eton, Georgia, nearly always have a Chatsworth mailing address for their physical address. First, I thought I had probably posted on Little Scraps instead of North Georgia Kin; maybe I just forgot to toggle the drop-down thingy. Then I wondered, "Who the heck is Ella Goad Coyle, anyway?" And I can't remember. Dang, that's just five months ago! But, I've slept since then, and I do so much genealogy.

Now, I can remember my main lines, and even a lot of secondary lines, but quite often I find myself working on lineages whose surnames are just completely unrelated. Sometimes, it's because I'm trying to untangle somebody's mess on Family Search, to "unmerge" him from our guy and re-create him, using documentation, as their guy (for example, when somebody foolishly merges John Smith, born 1799 in England, with John Smith, born 1854 in Tennessee.

Anyhow, after looking this over and realizing I don't even recollect why I was researching the Coyles, and realizing most of these clips are my own extract of document images, I decided to pop them on here. It might be helpful, not only to someone who is researching these people, but also to anyone who's trying to determine if there's a method to my madness. In these clips, I seem to be talking to myself, bouncing ideas off myself, and giving myself little to-dos and reminders of potential clues to research further. So, here goes Coyle....

Various Coyle Records

Tennessee Deaths, 1914-1966, Reg. no. 862, Reg. Dist. no. 801, Stamped (State/Cert?) no. 6498: Benjamin E. Coyle, aged 71 years, 2 months, 3 days, married white male, deceased; resided at 647 Kent st, Memphis, Shelby, Tenn. Birth: 29 Dec 1872 (place unknown). Death: 2 March 1944, St. Joseph Hospital, Memphis, Shelby, Tennessee. Length of Stay in Hospital: Suddenly. Length of Stay in Community: 30 yrs. Wife: Mrs Odie L. Coyle (age not stated). Occupation: Carpenter. Social Security Number 412-09-8623. Informant: Mrs B. E. Coyle, of 647 Kent st. Burial: 6 March 1944, at Mem. Park (?Memorial Park?), Memphis. Undertaker: National Funeral Home, Memphis, , Tenn. (Signatures of various officials). [Extract by D.K. Pritchett, FamilySearch contributor.]

Death no. 50-13121: Ella Goad Coyle, aged 80, widowed white female, deceased; resided for 30 years in Chattanooga, Hamilton, Tennessee (residence at time of death: 2510 E 18th St). Occupation: Domestic housewife (in) Own home. Birth: 21 Jun 1870, Tennessee, US. Death: 21 Jun 1950, Chattanooga, Hamilton, Tennessee. Father: Henry Goad. Mother: Elizabeth Cagle. Informant: Mrs A W Klein, of Chattanooga. Burial: 24 June 1950, Forest Hills, Chattanooga, , Tenn. Funeral Director: National Fnl, Chatta. [Extract by D.K. Pritchett, Family Search contributor.]

United States Census, 1880, Dalton, Whitfield, Georgia: Horace Coyle, aged ?0? (maybe 0, maybe a fraction); single male, grandson of Benjamin Coyle. Birth: 1880, Georgia. Both parents born in Georgia. Also in the household, Sallie Coyle, 16-year-old single daughter of Benjamin Coyle, who appears to be ill due to "Labor" ("Labor" is written in the column for sickness). Enumeration Date: 14 Jun 1880.

Checking Two Benjamin Coyles as Possible Duplicates

I think these are duplicates, but I would like to do more research before merging. [Here I was talking about a potential merge of two possibly duplicate Person IDs (PIDs) on Family Search (FamilySearch.org), I know]. The reason this looks pretty good as a match: both men were carpenters (the first one, listed that way by 1910, though he had started out in other jobs). Both men were born in Georgia, but later moved to Tennessee. There do not seem to be any census conflicts, so far; that is, when one is found, the other isn't; and vice versa.

(1) Benjamin Coyle (PID L1PX-XQV) married Mary Ella Goad/Goode, 22 May 1892, Whitfield, Georgia; probable parents of Elizabeth Coyle Klein, since she was born in Dalton. He is probably the one we've attributed as residing 1880 in Dalton, Whitfield, Georgia, but is too young to have an occupation at that time. In 1900, he is a sardine packer. By 1910, he is a carpenter in the contracts industry.

(2) Benjamin Coyle (PID LBVT-CT1) married Odie Livingston, 31 March 1914, Shelby, Tennessee. Listed as a carpenter (self or own account) in 1917 (draft reg.), 1920, 1930, 1940, and 1944 (death record).

Harvey Coyle was born 1897, Rome, Ga., to Ben and Ella Coyle (per marriage record in 1919, Kentucky). Census shows that he has a sister named "Lizzie" Coyle, born about 1905, a good fit for Elizabeth Coyle Klein; she is probably "Mrs. A. W. Klein," the informant on the death record of Ella (Goad) Coyle, a "widow" who died in 1950 in Hamilton Co., Tenn. (but she was probably divorced; in the old records, many divorced women called themselves widows). Ella Goad/Goode is a good fit for the Ella Goode who married Benjamin Coyle on 22 May 1892, Whitfield, Georgia, US. Per census, Harvey and Lizzie had another brother, Flave Coyle (full name researched as Flave McCurry Coyle). Flave's death record gives his father as Ben Coyle, born in Ga. It gives his mother's birthplace as Ga., but the name of the mother is unknown. (this could be that Flave's mother was out of his life by the time he married; his wife was the informant on his death record, I think). Flave later drove a truck in Chattanooga, Hamilton, Tennessee.

This all fits, so far: Ben was in Dalton, Whitfield, Georgia, in 1880, with parents; he married Ella Goad in 1892 in that county. In 1900, he was in Rome, Floyd, Georgia, with wife, Ella, and the first three children. (The records of some of the children show that they were born in Rome or lived there early on). The family apparently moved to Chattanooga, Hamilton, Tennessee, between 1904 and 1907. Later records of some of the children have Hamilton Co., Tenn., in them.

That's all, and I'm not sure if I actually did make the determination to merge these or not. But, anyway, here she is on North Georgia Kin. "One Less Thang" on Little Scraps, thank you Forrest Gump. So I can clean up that other blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment