Monday, February 18, 2019

Richard Sizemore, Dade County, Georgia, Various Documents

RICHARD SIZEMORE
Last Will & Testament (Transcript):

1. RICHARD SIZEMORE was born in 1800 near Greenville Greenville Co South Carolina and died in 1865 in DeKalb Co Alabama. . He married ELIZABETH ANN ‘BETTY' FORESTER/FOSTER about 1818 or 1819. She was born in 1804 in South Carolina and died 1 May 1879 in DeKalb Co Alabama. Her parents are FRANCIS FORESTER & UNKNOWN.  Richard & Betty are buried at Pea Ridge Cemetery DeKalb Co Alabama.

Richard is said to be the son of EPHRAIM SIZEMORE SR (1743-1836) & WINEFORD ‘WINNEY' GREEN (1745-1839), but the age of his mother would have been 55 years old when he was born. These are possibly his grandparents

The following information on Richard Sizemore from the Sand Mountain Melungeon Families website:

Richard Sizemore came from Spartansburg District, South Carolina and moved to Habersham County Georgia by 1822 and to Dade County Georgia about 1845 where he joined a group of other mixed breeds avoiding removal near Rising Fawn.  To credit descendants and relatives in Eastern Cherokee claims 1906-1924 which comprise two entire volumes of the Guion Miller Commission's report, the family came from North Carolina and Virginia and were Cherokee.  The name is cognate with Cismor and other Portuguese Jewish surnames, deriving from Sis(a)mai, a Judahite of the descendants of the daughter of Sheshan and Jarha, a Phoenician god's name, meaning water crane or swallow.  In Sephardic tradition applied to 'tax farmers.'  Sheshan had no sons, only daughters.  Sheshan had an Egyptian slave whose name was Jarha.  Eleasah begot Sisamai and Sisamai begot Shallum (1 Chronicles 2:34-40).  They were Portuguese Jews who came from London to Barbados and Jamestown, where they blended with the Saponi, Powhatan, Mattaponi, Cherokee, and Creek on the frontier.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Will and Testament of Richard Sizemore:

Georgia, Dade County.  In the name of God, Amen, I, Richard Sizemore of said state and county, being of advanced age and knowing that must depart this life, deem it right and proper both as respects my family and myself that I should make a disposition of my property with which a kind providence has blessed me:  do therefore make my last will and testament hereby revoking all others heretofore made by same.

1st item.  I design that my body be buried in a decent and Christian-like manner suitable to my condition in life.  My soul, I trust, shall return to rest with God who gave it.

2nd item.  I design and direct that all my just debts be paid without delay by my executors hereinafter appointed, as I am unwilling my creditors should be delayed their right.

3rd item.  I give, bequeath and devise to my son Andrew Jackson and Thomas Benton and James Clayton and my daughter Malinda Elizabeth part of lot of land number two hundred and nineteen in the eleventh district of formerly Cherokee, now Dade County, containing one hundred and ten acres with all rights, members and privaliges(sic) to said lot of land in any wise appertaining or belonging forever.

4th item.  I give and bequeath to my son John one sorrel horse and two cows and calves and their increase and six head of sheep and their increase, one yoak(sic) of stears(sic) and cart, one hundred bushels of corn and ten head of hogs, and one rifle gun, and three feather beds and furnature(sic).

5th item.  I hereby appoint my son John executor of this my last will and testament this April 18th, 1850.

Richard Sizemore

Registered this 20th of April 1850.

John B Perkins, Clerk

(Thanks to Winona Jones of Weatherford Texas)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Richard Sizemore was buried in Pea Ridge Cemetery, DeKalb County, Alabama on top of the mountain.  This cemetery also contains the graves of Coopers and Bundrens.  His widow Elizabeth moved to Fraction Township in the area known as Shraders Mill, where her neighbors were the Coopers and Shraders (Alabama 1866 State Census).  She was the daughter of Francis Forester and a Chickahominy woman and died May 1, 1879.

Very recent efforts spearheaded by Alan Lerwick of Salt Lake City, Utah, have traced the Sizemores back to a Michael Sizemore, a London merchant who died in 1685. Lerwick has also mapped two distinct DNA lines in Virginia and North Carolina, one continuing the original R1b gene type and the other an American Indian Q haplotype. He believes that Indian descent entered the Sizemore family with Henry Sizemore, born about 1698. The descendants of Henry’s older brother Ephraim are R1b.


No comments:

Post a Comment